Saturday 21 June 2014

MOT failure restore - I doubt it would pass now though.....

I put another couple of hours in on the Micra Race Car. All the windows are now out and the wiring harness is half out but I need a wiring diagram before I dare chop any more - I've already lost the battery warning light system by cutting something I shouldn't have done, fairly confident I can put that right though. So tonight was a chance to do the structural repair that caused the car to be an MOT failure, the holed inner wing close to the rear seat belt mounting. The repair ain't pretty but it should be structurally sound, the original metal was like lace, and very thin to start with except where it was factory reinforced around said seatbelt mounting. The metal I have welded in is about three times as thick, and links to the seatbelt mounting, reinforcing the reinforcement as well as filling the MOT failure hole. I also tacked a repair patch onto the wheelarch, and tomorrow Thomas will be learning the noble art of plastic body filler to make it look reasonable and prepare it for paint. Theoretically it would then pass an MOT on that point, but as it's now sans glass, lights, wipers etc etc I somehow doubt it will ever pass an MOT again. It will however be fit for racing. 
Next step will be to do a couple of remedial jobs on the race trailer before I can take the car to the man who will be bending the tubes for the roll cage.




No comments:

Post a Comment